Monday, May 18, 2015

One Reason to Not Hate the Apple Watch

Is this the saving grace for one of the most underwhelming tech innovations ever?

As far as techno-innovations go, the Apple watch has got some serious street cred issues.

Far from the designer hype and the passionate queuing to purchase that previous Apple products have inspired, the Apple Watch has been a bit of a PR dud.

Computerworld.com pulled no punches when it stated that people “hate” it, apart from “$17,000 spendy douchbags”.

Pitch Perfect 2 actress Anna Kendrick took to her Twitter feed to express her feelings about the Apple Watch, stating, “We should be thanking Apple for launching the $10,000 "apple watch" as the new gold standard in douchebag detection”.



And even eminent philosophers have been lining up to put the boot in to what could have been a great leap forward in the world of tech.

But in recent news, Molly Watt, a profoundly deaf and mostly blind 20-year-old from the UK has found that features in the watch actually assist her greatly in her day-to-day life. Molly found that the haptic vibrate feature in the watch’s map function has been very helpful as a way to navigate her way around the streets of London.

She says on her blog review
“I was born deaf and registered blind when I was 14.  The condition I have is Usher Syndrome Type 2a. I am severely deaf and have only a very small tunnel of vision in my right eye… So far for me the most useful App on the Apple Watch is Maps – on my iPhone I can plan my journey from one destination to another, for me it will be on foot with Unis my guidedog. This is where Haptics really come into its own – I can be directed without hearing or sight, but by a series of taps via the watch onto my wrist – 12 taps means turn right at the junction or 3 pairs of 2 taps means turn left, I’m still experimenting with this but so far very impressed – usher syndrome accessible!”

So, now it looks like Apple has increased its market share beyond the “douchebag” set, to people in genuine need for some tech innovation.
 

Do you know anyone who’s actually bought an Apple watch?

Source : nickjrparents[dot]com[dot]au
post from sitemap

No comments:

Post a Comment