Saturday, August 23, 2014

5 Tips To Survive A Long Haul Flight With Little Kids

I am going to Europe with a nearly 2 year old and a just 4 year old. Yes, we’re very lucky. I’m so excited. So excited… So why am I waking up in the night in a cold sweat, fretting over the plane trip?

I know it’s a first world problem, but the thought of my loud, energetic, emotional and completely crazy offspring confined to a small space for several 12 hour flights at midnight is making me bite all my nails down to nothing. 

Yesterday, on a day where we were out and active and doing things kids love to do, I counted 12 major tantrums between them.  Now I’m picturing a plane with not much to do and no space to do it in and I’m wondering what the epic tanty count will be. 

I’m looking at every awesome gadget that high flying kids use to stay entertained on the plane and in the long, inevitable queues at various airports. 

Here are some ways to survive long trips with little kids.

Have the best apps and games ready - and tested before you get on the flight.  

Dr Kristy Goodwin gave me some excellent advice. She said to load the apps and games on long before we fly so we know they work, they’re good and the kids can get used to the games prior to departure. She has a great e-book on the best apps for kids so that will save me sifting through thousands of apps. 

Have movies on your own device or DVD player.

Don’t count on just the in-flight entertainment. Have some of your kids' tried and tested favourites ready to roll. 

Ride on luggage.

Trunki has come up with a great solution to bored kids not wanting to carry their own luggage. Now they can ride on it! They come in all sorts of bright colours and animal designs, with wheels and handles to hold onto and I can just picture my kids racing around the airport in them. 

Get a sturdy and comfy iPad cover. 

The Brica goPal kids iPad cover is foamy, durable and lightweight – perfect for long trips. Or the Samsung Galaxy kids tablet also comes in a great smash-proof and comfortable design and is preloaded with great games and activities.

Invest in very good kids headphones.

They need to be really comfortable and not too loud. And rainbow, of course. Tiny Phones and Kidz Gear Wired Headphones are well reviewed, not too pricey and come in loads of colours. The adult ones they give out on the plane are ill fitting and too loud for little ears. (And so not rainbow.)

Apart from the tech stuff, kids need patient parents who have given up on movies, hot drinks, champagne and sleeping on the plane.

Taking lots of interesting food helps, plus books, drawing stuff and cards to play snap. A friend also recommended taking bubble wrap, ‘cos who doesn’t love that? (The other passengers, probably.) 

I’ve heard of desperate parents handing out gift bags to the surrounding passengers with earplugs and bribes of chocolate before take off, so that’s an idea. 

I’ll give some of these things a whirl, but mostly, I will hope for the gift of sleeping children. Sweet, sweet sleeping children.

What gadgets do you take on a long haul flight to keep the kids going?

Source : parents[dot]nickjr[dot]com[dot]au

No comments:

Post a Comment